That photo is real. I played Augusta National Golf Club the Monday after the 2011 Masters. Shot a 91. I contend that I am the only man in the world who has played Augusta National and eaten at Long John Silvers in the same day.
After that, my story gets a little boring. But I’ll try to make it sound neater than it is.
I live in Athens, Ga., and started a new career in public relations in 2012 after a three-year run at the Athens Banner-Herald. At the ABH, I covered the arts, music, entertainment, food, health, faith, golf and stock car racing beats. There were certainly worse gigs out there.
I think my gig at Jackson Spalding is even better.
I grew up in Ocala, Fla., and started my journalism career there. I graduated from Jacksonville University and worked a few public relations jobs in Jacksonville and Nashville, Tenn., before I caught the journalism bug.
The only way to kill the journalism bug is to cross a few items off your bucket list. Did I mention I played Augusta National?
If you’re looking for me, limit your search to good barbecue restaurants, second-rate concerts and race tracks. You’ll find me sooner or later.
A few other tidbits:
- I’ve won two Georgia Press Club and Associated Press awards for feature writing.
- I’ve been named Employee of the Month at least once in every office I’ve ever worked in.
- On a few nights at Ocala Speedway, I filled in as the track’s announcer. Best gig ever.
- I take barbecue very seriously. Give me good ‘cue or no ‘cue at all.
- If you’re looking for the best barbecue in the Southeast, try 12 Bones in Asheville, N.C., Mojo’s in Jacksonville, Fox Brothers in Atlanta, First Choice in Tampa and Chub’s in Ila, Ga.
- I love to play guitar and have written several songs. Sometimes I even play them in front of people. You know, songs like this one:
- My golf handicap is 14. When I play enough, it’s closer to 10.
- I’ve covered four Daytona 500s, a dozen NASCAR races and more than 100 motorsports events across the country.
- I have been foster-parenting a cat since September 2010. I’m pretty sure I have a cat now. His name is Butters.
- I can be just about anywhere in 72 hours or less.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd and North Wilkesboro Speedway got me into journalism. Both are long stories.
- I believe the greatest sandwich in America is at Angie’s Subs in Jacksonville. If you’re within 100 miles, it’s worth a day trip.
- Darlington Raceway feels like home to me. I’ve never lived in South Carolina.
- I have Crohn’s Disease, or at least that’s what doctors tell me. Fortunately, this development has not affected my barbecue diet.
- I don’t cover college football because I’m too big of a Florida homer. It’s great to be a Gator. But I have a thing for the Clemson Tigers, too.
- I drive about 25,000 miles a year. Fortunately, my 2006 Mazda3 handled every last one of them for eight years. Now, I drive a 2011 Lexus CT200h. It’s lovely.
- I’ll take the mountains over the beach any day. But I need the beach more than I need the mountains.
- I’m always open to new ideas and opportunities. Stop by the “Contact” page and let me know what you’re thinking.